When a beloved family member passes away, emotions often run out of control and potential heirs do not always think or act reasonably. Disagreements and disputes can lead to legal action and litigation quickly if there is no one to step in and try to reach a compromise. If a dispute arises over your loved one’s estate in Upper Darby, PA, Bratton Estate and Elder Care Attorneys can help.
Call us today 856-857-6007. Our estate litigation lawyers in Upper Darby, PA can employ proven mediation techniques to stop disagreements before they escalate, or we can represent your loved one’s wishes and your best interests during litigation.
At Bratton Estate and Elder Care Attorneys, we work on every case as a team. Our team consists of:
- Social worker
- A registered nurse
- Estate litigation attorneys
We can go to work quickly to resolve issues in your case, but we also take a team approach to ensure we fully understand your needs and preferences. When you call us, you will first discuss your case with one of our social workers. These key members of our team will ask questions and provide guidance to uncover what is at the heart of disputes.
Only once we feel confident, we understand your best interests will we put a plan in place for our lawyers to employ dispute resolution tactics, utilize mediation, or litigate the dispute over your loved one’s assets.
We Can Recommend the Right Services for Your Upper Darby, PA Estate Dispute
Our team can provide a wide variety of services. There is no one-size-fits-all offering to solve estate disputes. Depending on the needs we uncover when you meet with one of our attorneys and social workers, we may offer:
- Help to understand your legal options and the potential outcomes
- A review and explanation of the will and other estate documents
- Protection for your loved one’s legacy and dignity, as well as your own best interests
- Assistance in protecting and recovering the assets your loved one left to you
- Dispute resolution and mediation tactics to try to resolve a dispute
- Court representation, if litigation occurs
Disagreements over the validity of a will and other estate disputes do not always require aggressive legal action or adversarial action. Our attorneys know this and strive to provide the guidance your family needs to reach an agreement. Sometimes feuding family members just need a little compassionate support and the right dispute resolution technique to reach common ground.
We can provide advice, oversee mediation, or take your case to court and represent you through Pennsylvania estate litigation. Our estate litigation lawyers in Upper Darby, PA are here to help you and to fight for your best interests.
Estate Disputes Can Cause Serious, Lasting Damage to Relationships
Perhaps the worst part about estate disputes and litigation is the damage it does to the relationships within your family. When disagreements escalate, rifts can form. Siblings stop speaking, and relationships suffer. This is likely the last thing your departed loved one would have wanted. Keeping this in mind, we may be able to help you reach a compromise and remain on good terms with the rest of your family.
The Most Common Cause of Estate Litigation Is Not Having a Valid Will
In most estate disagreements that end up in court, there is no will or estate plan to outline what the deceased wished to happen to their assets after death. If this happened in your family member’s case and the courts named you administrator, we recommend giving us a call. We can take proactive steps to reduce the chance of a dispute and help you through this process.
In most other cases, the issue arises because some members of the family believe the will accepted into probate is not valid. They may challenge the will, usually claiming either:
- Lack of capacity, your family member did not know what they were doing; or
- Undue influence, someone unfairly and unethically convinced them to alter their will
If either of these arises in your loved one’s case — or if you believe either of these to be true about your loved one’s will — we can help you take action. Our team of attorneys can:
- Defend your loved one’s legacy and try to uphold their wishes; or
- Take legal action to attempt to invalidate an estate plan you believe does not reflect their wishes
Occasionally, family members will instead question the ability or ethics of the person named an executor or estate administrator. If that person is you, we can defend you from the accusations. Alternatively, we can help you raise questions about an administrator who does not seem to be acting in accordance with the estate plan.
We Can Handle All Upper Darby, PA Estate Administration Duties for Your Family
If you are the executor of your loved one’s estate or named administrator of their will, our team can take on the required tasks and handle the whole process on your behalf. This reduces the risk of disagreements and disputes, and you do not have to worry about taking on a series of complex, stressful tasks.
Our team will:
- Explain the role and responsibilities of an administrator
- Enlist the help of appraisers, accountants, and other experts when needed
- Calculate assets, debts, taxes, and other payments
- Fund trusts, make donations and handle other required financial tasks
- Give you regular status updates about the progress of probating your loved one’s estate
- Provide dispute resolution services and take aggressive legal action if it becomes necessary
Talk to an Estate Litigation Lawyer in Upper Darby, PA
The team from Bratton Estate and Elder Care Attorneys can help you navigate and defuse disputes relating to your recently departed loved one’s estate. We can use proven meditation techniques to try to find common ground, or our estate litigation lawyers in Upper Darby, PA can take your case to court and aggressively pursue a verdict on your behalf.
Call us today 856-857-6007 to talk to a member of your team about your Upper Darby, PA, estate disagreement.