Estate Administration Lawyer in Voorhees, NJ
Most people do not handle the administration of an estate on a regular basis. This is something you may face only once or twice in your life. This inexperience can make the complex process especially stressful. New Jersey estate administration requires you to complete a series of specialized tasks. Add that you are likely still grieving your lost loved one, and it can be difficult to know what to do. An estate administration lawyer in Voorhees, NJ will handle this process on your behalf, letting you focus on spending time with your family and friends and healing emotionally.
At Bratton Estate & Elder Care Attorneys, our team can help you navigate the process. Our team knows this process inside and out and can offer you the compassionate guidance and support you need.
Call us today at 856 770 2744 to get started.
Our Voorhees Estate Administration Team Can Manage the Entire Process for You
It is not unusual for estate administrators or executors of wills to feel overwhelmed and confused about the process. These processes require you to complete a series of specialized tasks, some of which often call for professional assistance. If you try to administer the estate on your own in Voorhees, NJ, you will need to contact an estate administration lawyer:
- Visit the county Surrogate’s Office and enter the will into probate
- Pay your loved one’s final expenses and other debts from their account
- Identify any remaining assets
- Rely on appraisers to help you calculate the value of assets
- Calculate and pay any applicable taxes
- Distribute the assets as designated in the estate plan or will
- Fund trusts, make charity donations, and handle other provisions of the plan
As you can imagine, this process may require you to call in the services of several professionals to help you manage some of these tasks. You may need assistance when it comes to:
- Understanding New Jersey probate laws
- Calculating state and federal estate and death taxes
- Handling various accounting procedures
- Valuing real estate and other assets
- Funding trusts, making donations, and handling other estate law tasks
Identifying the right professionals and getting on their schedule may drag the process out and create more work for you. If you call us before you begin, we can handle all of these tasks for you.
Between our team and a community of knowledgeable accountants, appraisers, and other professionals, we can take care of your loved one’s estate for you. When we manage estate administration on their behalf, our clients often report less stress and more time to focus on their family and friends.
Bratton Estate & Elder Care Attorneys Offers a Full-Range of Voorhees Estate Administration Services
Our estate law attorneys do not offer a one-size-fits-all estate administration package like some other firms. We combine many services to put a personalized plan in place that fits your family’s needs.
This allows us to go to work immediately administering the estate. If you already began the process, we can meet you at the step you are on and take over from there. We can help you address a specific issue and provide hands-off guidance while you manage the process yourself.
Our team – consisting of lawyers, social workers, and a registered nurse – is here to help with your legal issues and offer you the compassionate emotional support you deserve during this stressful time. We can navigate this process for even the most complex estates and high net value assets.
Some of the Voorhees, NJ estate administration and probate services represented by attorneys we can handle include:
- Explaining your role as an estate administrator
- Identifying a knowledgeable appraiser for a unique collection
- Calculating the value of assets and the estate
- Explaining tax implications and offering legal advice
- Filing any inheritance tax paperwork
- Funding trusts
- Managing charitable giving
- Mandatory reporting of any charitable gifts
- Conflict resolution with other potential heirs
- Representing you in estate litigation, if necessary
Navigating the New Jersey Probate Process
As a part of handling estate administration for you, we will also guide you through the New Jersey probate process. You will still need to make an appearance to enter the will into probate, but we can help you understand what to expect.
New Jersey makes the probate process relatively simple for most people. This is a step that many people worry about, but it generally only takes a few minutes to get started in New Jersey.
The Garden State makes probate affordable and straightforward compared to most states. There is nothing adversarial about the NJ probate process. Instead, the process confirms the will is valid and grants you legal access to your loved one’s accounts, so you can administer the estate.
In some cases, the will from your loved one’s estate may not need to go through probate at all. This is likely if:
- They shared all assets with their spouse or another family member
- They had all assets in a trust
What to Expect When You Go to Probate Court in New Jersey
While it is called “Surrogate’s Court,” you should not expect to appear in a courtroom to enter your loved one’s will into probate. Most cases will only require you to go to the county Surrogate’s office, and have the Surrogate or an authorized member of their staff look at the will. Most modern wills written by estate law attorneys are self-proving. To determine the validity, the Surrogate will look for:
- The signature of the deceased
- The signatures of two witnesses
- A notary signature and stamp
- Your name as the administrator or executor
If the Surrogate can validate the will and confirm you as the executor, you will pay your fee and can begin the estate administration process. New Jersey charges probate fees per page, making it much more affordable than states that charge a percentage of the value of the estate.
Talk to An Estate Administration Attorney in Voorhees, NJ
Bratton Estate & Elder Care Attorneys can help you manage the New Jersey estate administration process. Our team provides compassionate guidance and support, walking you through every task. Call us at 856 770 2744 to get started today.