We try to live each and every day to the fullest. However, when age, illness, or injury make each day just a little more difficult than the last, it may be time to consider planning for the future. With people living longer than ever before, many families are faced with the realities, and sometimes confusion, of long term care. Using a Life Care Planning team, consisting of an Elder Law Attorney and an Elder Care Coordinator helps families manage both the legal and medical care needs while providing the family peace of mind and removing stress.
Many families ask what is an Elder Care Coordinator? Will the Elder Care Coordinator help us understand how the long-term care system works? Will he or she know about community resources? Can the Elder Care Coordinator help us find public and private sources to pay for it? Can she help the people who work with our loved ones work together as a team? The simple answer is YES.
What is an Elder Care Coordinator?
An Elder Care Coordinator is a professional, such as a social worker, nurse, or gerontologist who specializes in assisting older people and their families to attain the highest quality of life given their circumstances. He or she will:
- Conduct care assessments to uncover potential problems and find solutions
- Help locate and hire in-home help or other services
- Coordinate with medical and health care providers
- Review medical issues and offer referrals to other geriatric specialists to provide appropriate care in a way that conserves financial resources
- Help plan for the possibility of incapacity or disability
- Provide support, guidance, and advocacy during a crisis
- Help to coordinate transfer and transportation of an older person to or from a retirement complex assisted care living facility, or nursing home
- Prepare and guide through the Medicaid application process
- Work in collaboration with other members of the support team serving them, including long-term care administrators, accountants, physicians, and financial planners to insure that the right professional is helping you at the right time
- Assist client in the determination of VA benefits
With each Life Care Plan, an Elder Care Coordinator guides our clients through the long term care system, helping them every step of the way to alleviate stress and empower the caregivers, fostering peace of mind.
If your loved one is experiencing memory loss, suffered a traumatic injury, or is battling a debilitating illness, it may be time for help. You can rest knowing the right to quality care is protected and the right care will be provided sooner. As you begin your long-term care journey it is invaluable to have a knowledgeable advocate next to you along the way!