The new minimum community spouse resource allowance (CSRA) is $24,180 and the maximum CSRA is $120,900. The maximum monthly maintenance needs allowance is $3,022.50. The minimum monthly maintenance needs allowance remains $2,002.50 ($2,502.50 for Alaska and $2,302.25 for Hawaii) until July 1, 2017.
The income cap for 2017 applicable in “income cap” states is $2,205 a month.
Gift and estate tax figures
Federal estate tax exemption: $5.49 million for individuals
Lifetime tax exclusion for gifts: $5.49 million
Generation-skipping transfer tax exemption: $5.49 million
The annual gift tax exclusion remains at $14,000.
Medicare Premiums, Deductibles and Copayments for 2017
- Part B premium: $109/month (was $104.90)
- Part B premium for beneficiaries not “held harmless”: $134/month (was $121.80)
- Part B deductible: $183 (was $166)
- Part A deductible: $1,316 (was $1,288)
- Co-payment for hospital stay days 61-90: $329/day (was $322)
- Co-payment for hospital stay days 91 and beyond: $658/day (was $644)
- Skilled nursing facility co-payment, days 21-100: $164.50/day (was $161)
Part B premiums for higher-income beneficiaries:
- Individuals with annual incomes between $85,000 and $107,000 and married couples with annual incomes between $170,000 and $214,000 will pay a monthly premium of $187.50 (was $170.50).
- Individuals with annual incomes between $107,000 and $160,000 and married couples with annual incomes between $214,000 and $320,000 will pay a monthly premium of $267.90 (was $243.60).
- Individuals with annual incomes between $160,000 and $214,000 and married couples with annual incomes between $320,000 and $428,000 will pay a monthly premium of $348.30 (was $316.70).
- Individuals with annual incomes of $214,000 or more and married couples with annual incomes of $428,000 or more will pay a monthly premium of $428.60 (was $389.80).
Social Security Benefits for 2017
The new monthly federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payment standard is $735 for an individual and $1,103 for a couple.
Estimated average monthly Social Security retirement payment: $1,360 a month (was $1,341) for individuals and $2,260 (was $2,212) for couples
Maximum amount of earnings subject to Social Security taxation: $127,200 (was $118,500)
2017 VA “Aid and Attendance” Figures:
Single Veteran $1,794/mo.
Widowed Spouse $1,153 /mo.
Married Veteran $2,127mo.